New Topic Post Reply  [ 1 post ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: NPCs are coming to town
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:39 pm 
Owner

Xbox Live Gamertag: Sayaron
Steam: sayaron
Xfire: sayaron
As for an introduction to the new "quickjobs" which are coming in update 5.5, we're making the jobs NPC driven. The NPCs themselves will not do much except for giving you the job, but will however add some more realistic feeling that there is a person giving you the quest.
As for our first NPC (in exception for train NPCs which we've had for years), will be Dwayne, which is a smuggler of weapon and drugs. He is trustworthy as long as you both can make a profit out of the jobs, and will give you jobs that are anywhere from dealing drugs, weapons or even taking out certain persons disturbing Dwayne's business. Rewards from these missions can be anywhere from high to very low, as some jobs might be very risky. The jobs might give you a huge loadout of money, drugs or guns, but also some deals might not always go that well, as police can interfere, or it might all be a setup.

I am also considering a reputation system towards the NPCs as well, which will determine your relation with the NPCs. High reputation might give you benefits from the NPCs, while low reputation might get you real trouble. With this feature, I might also make it so that if you help a certain NPC, you might loose reputation to another NPC which is in conflict with the one you helped out. As for standard, your reputation is neutral towards the NPCs.

Whether I shall make NPCs do more than just stand still, will be in consideration. Making the NPCs being able to attack or defend themselves might add some extra layer of realism, but on the other hand will require a lot of time to make.

The number of NPCs will be limited, as the fact that each NPC requires 1 player slot, and drains a lot of processing power, meaning we will have to increase server slots. I will come back to this topic later with more information. Scripting the NPCs might take a lot of time, so I'm counting on everyone's patience

A new dawn is coming...

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 1 post ]